Staci Bishop

Thursday, February 27, 2014

nYn Is Going to Uganda!

There really are no words to contain my excitement right now!

Six months ago I announced that nYn would be partnering with 2 amazing groups in Uganda which support women and children.

I'm thrilled to announce that in June 2014, I AM GOING TO UGANDA with Mercy for Mamas!

*major happy dance*

Did you know that Ugandan women are unable to deliver in a hospital, birth center, or clinic unless they provide their own supplies? Unfortunatley, this means that 59% of women deliver without the help of a trained nurse, midwife or doctor and 1 in 35 women die from pregnancy or childbirth complications.

ONE in THIRTY FIVE.

What if I told you the cost of these basic supplies was only $7?

ONLY SEVEN DOLLARS!

This summer, Mercy for Mamas is taking a team of women to distribute 2000 "mama kits" which contain basic necessities for a clean and safe birth.

TWO THOUSAND!!!

During our 12-day trip, I will also be assisting with basic examinations as well as prenatal education including childbirth, nutrition, breastfeeding and parenting classes.

Seriously, it's like this trip was made for me. How could I say no? I've never desired to go out of the country for a mission trip, until now.

Today, I was having a conversation with my 7-year-old daughter about the trip. I was telling her that I was a little bit scared but I felt like God was asking me to step out of my comfort zone and say "Yes!" She reaches over to hold my hand and says, "Mommy, don't be scared. You are going to help those mamas so their babies don't have to be orphans." Y'all. This kid is wise beyond her years and tears were streaming down my face. Even at the young age of 7, she gets it. She totally gets it! I don't know how else to explain why I want to go to Uganda but she summed it up, perfectly!

In 2010, my best friend adopted from Uganda. Before that journey alongside her family, I didn't even know where Uganda was. She says I was her "adoption doula." In turn, I say Uganda stole a piece of my heart.

Doulas support families in a variety of ways. Those include education, emotional support, and comfort measures for pregnancy, birth, and the postpartum period.

Doulas are needed in Uganda and nYn is going to help.

However, I need your help to get there. Overall, I need to raise $3000 in support in 90 days. That's kind of unfathomable to me right now. But, I believe that God laid this on my heart for a reason, and I believe that He will provide a way. Just yesterday, a check magically showed up in my mailbox that covered the deposit to secure my plane tickets. Awesome, right?!

If you would like to help, please consider donating. Every bit counts no matter how big or small. I would be ever so thankful for your support! Checks sent to the organization below are tax-deductible. Just remember to earmark it for Staci Bishop.

Mercy for Mamas  |  1604 Prairie Run Circle  |  Mulvane, KS 67110 

You can also contribute by clicking the Donate button below. If you have general questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to me at bishopstaci@gmail.com. In the meantime, I'll be over here trying to wrap my head around this amazing opportunity that has literally fallen in my lap (and doing the happy dance). God is SO good!



Note: You do not have to have a Paypal account to donate through this link. You can also donate with a debit or credit card via the "Continue" link on the bottom left of the next page. 

UPDATE: I'm home. Here's a recap of my trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment