Staci Bishop

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Training Recap Part 1: Choosing A Program

I just completed my birth doula training with Childbirth International. I wanted to give a quick recap of my experience for those who may be considering the same.

First of all, it took me a while to decide which training program to pursue. I researched quite a bit before deciding on CBI. Here's the short version of my selection process.

The main certifying organizations for doulas in the United States are DONA and CAPPA. They are both very well known and popular. However, they both require you to train through weekend conferences. For me, I tend to get a little overwhelmed in a jam-packed conference type environment. My brain can only hold so much information in a short span and I need time to process. Also, it is interesting to note that their prices are different based on the trainer. I also didn't want the added expense of having to travel to another city for training nor did I want to wait for the next conference to come to Nashville.

I needed a program that offered a distance learning option with no hard deadlines. I am very capable of setting and meeting my own deadlines as I completed my Bachelor's degree and medical transcription training through online programs. I like working at my own pace. I also wanted training that was consistent across the board. I felt that the variation in trainers and costs could ultimately lead to a variation in learning. Meaning, you may or may not get the same information depending upon the trainer. (Side Notes: 1. I'm confident that the DONA and CAPPA trainers are quite knowledgeable. I'm just trying to share my thought process and this was a hangup. 2. CAPPA now offers a distance learning program.)

I learned about a few other programs, Birth Arts International, Birthing From Withing and Childbirth International. The BAI and BFW programs seemed to have a more holistic/spiritual approach, which is definitely inline with my beliefs about birth and I strongly considered them. In fact, the BAI program also has a scholarship program. However, the consensus among reviews was that the CBI course was one of the most comprehensive programs out there, which was a major deciding factor for me. Not only did I want to become a doula, I want to be a good doula. Also, CBI does not require you to pay a recertification fee every year, which was an added plus.

To get this information, I did tons of Google searches. I also browsed through the archives of many forums. The most helpful of which was over at AllDoulas.com. I also gave it a lot of thought and prayer before finally deciding that I wanted to certify through Childbirth International.

In review, here are the doula training organizations that I looked into.

Childbirth International (CBI) - My choice for Birth Doula Training!


5 comments:

  1. I took Cbi and Birth Arts International and I loved BAI so much. CBI was cool but BAI rocked and covered so much more, no extra fees and made me really become a doula, not just train to be one. Have fun being a doula!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Staci,
    I am researching which training program to use. I like the idea of working on this at home and not traveling for workshops. CBI seems good. Do you have any other suggestions. Love the info on your website...very informative. I live in Clarksville...so not far from Nashville. Any additional information you have to share would be great. In the mean time I will be reading and researching. Hope you are enjoying your doula experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BAI all the way. I loved my education with them. They walked me through a few bumps and it was nice to have guidance and mentorship. Demetria Clark, the director is really sweet and supportive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really loved BAI. It took a little more work, but wow, it was awesome. I loved the mentorship and sisterhood it provided. Thanks, great article.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CBI was definitely the best choice for me. I found their website easy to navigate, their trainers friendly and easy to talk to and best of all the courses were to helpful and fun to work through. My experience with them was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete