Staci Bishop

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Homemade Powder Laundry Detergent ($0.09 per load, Borax free)


About six months ago I started making my own laundry detergent. It's SO easy (and cheap)!!! Here is the recipe I have been using.

1 bar soap, finely grated
1 cup washing soda
1/2 cup baking soda
1/2 cup Borax (optional)

Combine all ingredients into a Ziplock bag and shake to mix. Use 1 Tablespoon per load.

I've never even tried making the liquid kind. It seemed too complicated and messy from the git-go. I'm all about easy peasy so powdered detergent seemed like the logical choice. This recipe dissolves very nicely. I never have any residue left in the tray. I have a high-efficiency washer and this recipe is HE safe.

When I started researching the ingredients I read some things about Borax that made me a little uncomfortable using it (toxic/harsh and needed to be handled carefully). I looked and looked for a Borax-free recipe and found nada. So, on a whim, I just left it out. This detergent works great so I really haven't missed it at all.

Now, as far as soap is concerned. I decided on Yardley, mainly because I feel comfortable with the ingredients. I've used all of the different scents and they all work fine. In fact, I usually switch back and forth between scents to spice things up a bit for my nose. :) Grating up the soap doesn't take long at all. I purchased a fine grater from the $Tree and it works fine. I usually do it while watching TV and it's done in less than 10 minutes. Some folks like to do a rough grate and then put it in the blender to make it finely grated. Again, too many steps for me.

Now, for the cost factor....
  • Bar of Yardley soap, $0.69 (Goes on sale at Walgreens about every six weeks. I usually grab 2-3 bars and that gets me through until the next sale.)
  • Baking Soda, $0.50 (Also goes on sale frequently at Walgreens. 1 box will make 4 batches)
  • Arm & Hammer Washing Soda, $4.99 (You can pick this up at most any grocery store. It's also available at Ace Hardware. One box makes 7 batches)
To buy all of the ingredients at once would cost you a little more than $6, which is less than one container of store-bought detergent. When you divide it out the cost comes to about $1.50 a batch and only $0.09 per load!

Easy, cheap, plus good for you & your clothes!

1 comment:

  1. I should try this, I have bad allergies to certain scents and chemicals so I have to use Original Tide (expensive) or ALL free & Clear. This way I control what goes in, thanks for posting Staci!

    ReplyDelete